2 Days in the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone
I’ve summarized the Itinerary of my 2 Days in the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone.
Before I get started here I need to point out one critical element of traveling within the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone – you must be accompanied by a licensed guide at all times.
In other words.. you cannot partake in a self guided tour within Chernobyl. The reasons are all safety related – safety for exposure to the contamination in the Zone and also safety with regards to the nuclear site that still exists within the Zone.
How much time should you spend in the Exclusion Zone? The answer is up to you and what you want to see. The longer time you have in the Zone the more time you’ll have to see smaller sites and all the fine details between locations. I could have done an extra day but felt that the 2 Days we spent in the Zone covered a lot of ground.
I’ve run a series of Gallery oriented Blog posts on the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone and will include links at each appropriate point within the Itinerary, be sure to check out the images.
2 Day Itinerary in the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone
- Leave Kyiv and drive to the Zone
- Arrive in the Zone and pass 1st Checkpoint
- Visited Zalesye Village (Supermarket, Town Hall, Soviet Car, Modern Home, Traditional Home)
- Visited several Monuments (Chernobyl’s City Sign, Statue of Lenin, Star of Wormwood Statue, Memory Lane)
- Lunch at the Hotel
- Visited First Responder’s Memorial outside the Fire Station
- Visited a “Children’s Garden” (Nursery) & WWII Memorial
- Visited the Chernobyl Power Plant (New Safe Containment, Stacks for Reactors 1-3, Construction on Reactors 5 & 6)
- Visited Chernobyl-2/Daga Radar Site (Radar, Computer Farm, Training Facility, Fire Station, Apartment Building, Hospital)
- Dinner and evening at the Hotel
- Passed Checkpoints for 10km and Pripyat
- Drove through the Red Forest
- Stopped at the Pripyat City Sign
- Entered Pripyat
- Visited the Swimming Pool Complex and School House
- Visited the Shoe Store, Stadium and Children’s Nursery
- Visited the Amusement Park and Recreation Center
- Visited the Main Square and Supermarket
- Visited the Police & Fire Stations
- Visited the River Side Cafe and Dock
- Visited the Cooling Tower for Reactor #5
- Lunch at the Hotel
- Visited with a Self Settler, Ivan Ivanovich
- Returned to Kyiv